CATHOLIC YOUTH ORGANIZATION
I. PLAYING RULES:
A. Official Rules: The rules of the CYO Bowling League are those of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA). It is imperative that each coach has a working knowledge of the NFHS and MHSAA rules in addition to those rules governing CYO Athletics.
B. Team Minimum: Team will consist of four (4) bowlers. A legal team (two (2) bowlers) must be present for the beginning of the first frame. Absentee or vacancy scores may be used only when a legal lineup is present. If a player becomes ill or injured and is unable to finish the game, the team may finish the game with no less than two (2) bowlers.
C. Game Time: If a team does not have a legal line-up, they will forfeit all points. If one team is not present and ready to play at the time that a contest is scheduled to begin, their opponent may accept forfeit victory for that contest.
- Game Length: Teams will bowl one (1) Baker game prior to two (2) regular games per meet.
II. GAME RULES/REGULATIONS:
A. Regular Game: A game of American tenpins consists of ten frames. A player delivers two balls in each of the first nine frames unless a strike is scored. In the tenth frame, a player delivers three balls if a strike or spare is scored. Every frame must be completed by each player bowling in regular order.
B. Baker Game: A modified format consisting of teams with a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of four (4) bowlers.
1. All team members follow each other in order, each bowling a complete frame, until a complete game is bowled.
2. Ten frames are combined to calculate a team game.
- Shirts: Parish/School issued shirt with name or logo/mascot.
- Pants: The entire team must wear the same color uniform shirts/pants. NO SKIRTS
III. LEAGUE RULES/REGULATIONS:
A. League Standings:
1. 7/8th Grade: Will use a seven (7) point system. Two (2) points for each game, two (2) points for the baker game (receive points only, pin count will not be added in scoring) and one (1) point for totals (splitting points in case of a tie).
2. 5/6th Grade: Will use a five (5) point system. Two (2) points for each game and one (1) point for totals (splitting points in case of a tie). The Baker game will NOT count in the scoring process, used as a learning tool for future preparation only.
- Averages: Individual averages will be established after four (4) games. Bowlers that have bowled on the CYO league in the previous year will enter with their previous year ending average.
- Blind/BYE Team: If there is a Blind/BYE team, the opposing team must bowl within 40 pins of their current teams’ average in order to win their points. If the team present and bowling fails to bowl within 40 pins of their teams’ current average, this team will lose the points for that specific game(s) or series.
- Allowable Games Per Player: No player may bowl in more than three (3) games on any given calendar day.
- Individual Medals/Trophies: Each player must have bowled a minimum of eight (8) games during the regular season to qualify for individual medals/trophies.
- Roster Limitations: There is a maximum roster limitation of six (6) players per team (four (4) regular bowlers, two (2) pacers). Once registered on a team roster, bowlers cannot bowl on other teams. If there are less than six (6) players on the roster, additional players may be similarly registered (as per CYO eligibility rules) at any time during the regular season.
- Absentee/Vacancy Score: Absentee or vacancy averages may be used only when a legal lineup is present. If a player becomes ill or injured and is unable to finish the game, the team may finish the game with no less than two (2) bowlers. The team with the absentee/vacancy must determine and notify their opponent before the start of the game of which absentee/vacancy average is going to be used. Once the absentee/vacancy average is determined and bowling starts, changes may not be made.
1. Absentee: Score shall consist of the absent bowler’s current average.
2. Vacancy: A set average of 100 shall be used.
- Pacers: Teams may have up to five (5) or six (6) players bowl per week as long as they are on the official team roster. The fifth (5th) or sixth (6th) player will be considered a pacer and they may bowl for their own individual average and awards. The team with the pacer(s) must determine and notify their opponent before the start of the game of which player(s) are going to be the pacer(s). Once the pacer(s) are determined and the bowling starts, changes may not be made. If there are four (4) bowlers present at the time of bowling, those four (4) bowlers’ scores will be used.
- Tardy Players: Tardy players that arrive prior to the start of the 4th frame may bowl missed frames. If a player arrives after the start of the 4th frame, the tardy player’s absentee score will be used and the tardy player will not be eligible to bowl until the next game.
- Pre-Bowling: No pre-bowling will be allowed unless it is approved by the CYO Athletic Office. Unauthorized pre-bowling will result in forfeiture. Approved pre-bowling teams must notify opponent regarding date, time and site. Approved pre-bowling scores must be on a printed sheet from the bowling center and must be turned in before/on the original bowling league date. Teams (including individuals: i.e. if an individual pre-bowls it will count as one of the teams pre-bowl dates) will be allowed a maximum of 2 (two) pre-bowling dates per season. There will be no make-up bowling after the original bowling league date.
- Handicaps: Handicapping is a means of placing bowlers and teams with varying degrees of skill on as equitable a basis as possible for their competition against each other.
1. 7/8th Grade: Handicap will be 80% of the difference between a bowler’s average and a scratch figure of 200 and shall not be limited. Handicap shall be based on the bowler’s average after the first week of competition in which an established average will then be determined. (see sample below)
Based on 80% of 200: (all fractions are dropped)
Team A Team B
Average Handicap Average Handicap
Jill 160 + 32 = 192 Scott 124 + 60 = 184
Barb 155 + 36 = 191 Pam 122 + 62 = 184
Paul 140 + 48 = 188 Eric 132 + 54 = 186
Adam 167 + 26 = 193 Mike 160 + 32 = 192
622 + 142 = 764 538 + 208 = 746
2. 5/6th Grade: Handicap will be 100% of the difference between a bowler’s average and a scratch figure of 200 and shall not be limited. Handicap shall be based on the bowler’s average after the first week of competition in which an established average will then be determined. (see sample below)
Based on 100% of 200: (all fractions are dropped)
Team A Team B
Average Handicap Average Handicap
Jill 160 + 40 = 200 Scott 124 + 76 = 200
Barb 155 + 45 = 200 Pam 122 + 78 = 200
Paul 140 + 60 = 200 Eric 132 + 68 = 200
Adam 167 + 33 = 200 Mike 160 + 40 = 200
- 178 = 800 538 + 262 = 800
- Alcohol: Alcohol may not be sold to, or used by spectators or coaches during school competition.
- Payment: Weekly lineage fees are to be paid directly with the Bowling Site. Every bowler listed on the roster will be charged the site lineage fee per week, even if they are absent for the week. (see below breakdown)
2 Bowlers on team x $6.00 per week = $12.00 per week / $120.00 for season (10 weeks)
3 Bowlers on team x $6.00 per week = $18.00 per week / $180.00 for season (10 weeks)
4 Bowlers on team x $6.00 per week = $24.00 per week / $240.00 for season (10 weeks)
5 Bowlers on team x $6.00 per week = $30.00 per week / $300.00 for season (10 weeks)
6 Bowlers on team x $6.00 per week = $36.00 per week / $360.00 for season (10 weeks)
N. Insurance: Secondary medical insurance is provided for participants for all athletics through the Michigan Catholic Conference. This coverage has some limitations and is secondary to parent's medical coverage. This coverage is in effect if the student has no medical coverage. Information can be obtained through the School Principals or Parish Pastors.
A. 5/6th Grade: There are no play-offs for 5/6th grade teams.
B. 7/8th Grade: The CYO will sponsor a play-off at the conclusion of the season for all 7/8th grade teams. Each player must have bowled a minimum of eight (8) games during the regular season in order to participate in the play-offs.
V. VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES:
Violations of CYO rules and regulations shall subject a member Parish/School to any or all, but not limited to, the following: censure, probation with competition, probation without competition, forfeiture, suspension, and expulsion.