A. Official Rules: The rules of the CYO Track Leagueare those of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA). It is imperative that each coach has a working knowledge of the NFHS and MHSAA rules in addition to those rules governing CYO Athletics.
B. Purpose of these Rules: CYO wishes to stress that scores are not to be run-up by winning teams, and also to emphasize that coaches must make every effort to enter as many team members in as many events (amount allowable) per given meet.
C. Meet Time: Meet time is forfeit time. If one team is not present and ready to compete at the time that a meet is scheduled to begin, their opponent may accept forfeit victory for that meet. Meet official shall sign the score sheet to verify the forfeit. No official is required to wait beyond the scheduled meet time for a team.
D. Field Events Starting Time: The home team shall arrange with their opponent to start the field events thirty (30) minutes prior to the scheduled starting time so that running events will not be delayed. (Example: Meet starting time - 11:00 a.m., Field events - 10:30 a.m.).
E. Meet Length: Regulation meet includes 3 field events, 5 running events, and 4 relays.
F. Meet Time Limit: No time limit.
II. MEET RULES/REGULATIONS:
A. Track Course: A 400 meter marked track is standard.
B. Track Spikes: Track spikes may not exceed ¼-inch in length measured from the sole to the tip of the spike.
C. Regulation Equipment: Home team will furnish all equipment necessary to conduct a regulation meet.
D. Uniforms: Complete uniform consists of shoes, Parish/School issued shorts and a full-length jersey.
E. Participation Limitations:
1. Events Per Player: A contestant may compete in a total of three (3) events per meet on any given calendar day. Preliminary trials and/or final competition constitute participation in one (1) event. Relays are considered events.
2. Entries Per Team: A maximum of three (3) contestants per team in each event. Exhibition participants are permitted and encouraged.
3. Meets Per Team: CYO Track teams and members may not compete in more than one (1) track meet on any given calendar day, or meets including relays, held on successive days.
1. Field Events: Begin thirty (30) minutes prior to the start of the running events. High Jump Long Jump Shot Put (4 Kilo - Boys; 6lbs. - Girls)
2. Running Events: 4 x 800 (3200) Meter Relay 4 x 200 (800) Meter Relay 400 Meter Dash 200 Meter Dash 800 Meter Run 100 Meter Dash 1600 Meter Run 4 x 100 (400) Meter Relay 4 x 400 (1600) Meter Relay
3. According to MHSAA rules girl's events will precede boy's events in odd years.
Boy's competitions will be scored separately from girls competitions. Both scores should be reported to the CYO. In the event that a parish is unable to field gender specific teams they may field a boy's team and allow girls to participate. In this case the parish will forfeit the girls score and one score book will be kept and reported.
In this case girls will still compete with a 6-pound shot. Any distance thrown will be measured and scored.
Progression of high jump will follow normal increments per the NFHSA or based on mutually agreed to increments. For all meets except the Championship meet, the opening height will continue to be determined by the competing coaches.
Parishes are not permitted to field a 'girls' team and have boys compete on that team
III. LEAGUE RULES/REGULATIONS:
A. Officials/Starters: Parishes are responsible for securing their own officials for each meet. The home team is responsible for paying the official prior to the start of the event. All officials must be registered with the Michigan High School Athletic Association.
B. Officials/Starters Not Present: In the event that the assigned official is not present to officiate the meet the teams shall have two (2) options:
1. Run the meet with individuals they mutually agree upon to have officiate the meet. If mutual agreement is made to compete, the meet results will stand.
2. Re-schedule the meet with the CYO office after mutually agreeing on date and time.
C. League Standings: The league standings will be computed on the basis of two (2) points for a win, one (1) point for a tie, and zero (0) points for a loss. Non-league meets do not count in division standings.
D. Roster Limitations: There is no limit as to the number of players that a team may have. Additional players may be similarly registered (as per CYO eligibility rules) at any time during the regular season.
E. Insurance: Secondary medical insurance is provided for participants for all athletics through the Michigan Catholic Conference. This coverage has some limitations and is secondary to parent's medical coverage. This coverage is in effect if the student has no medical coverage. Information can be obtained through the School Principal or Parish Pastors.
4. Field Events: Open forum. Running events take priority over field events. Athletes must notify field official when leaving to compete in running events.
a. High Jump: BOYS start at 4'10", move at 2" increments to 5 feet, then 1" thereafter. GIRLS start at 4'2", move at 2" increments to 4'6", then 1" thereafter.
b. Long Jump & Shot Put: Open order format. The top seven (7) contestants will advance to the finals where each will be allowed three (3) additional attempts.
5. Awards Presentation: Following the conclusion of the meet.
a. Division Champions: Team Trophy b. Boys & Girls Runner-ups & Champions: Team Trophy c. Coaches Awards: Championship Coaches d. Medals: Places – 1st , 2nd, and 3rd per event. e. Ribbons: Places – 4th, 5th, and 6th per event.
V. VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES:
Violations of CYO rules and regulations shall subject a member Parish/School to any or all, but not limited to, the following: censure, probation with competition, probation without competition, forfeiture, suspension, and expulsion.